Now this is fun! There are some great sustainable education and measurement apps that can be downloaded to your smartphone. Seriously! and are enjoying them. Sustainability is one of those words that many people use but they are not sure really what it means or entails. If you are deeply rooted into sustainable movement, you get and can go on for hours about the four pillars that make up sustainable practices. But not all can do this, so download your apps, learn more and see if you are eco or sustainable. See if sustainability is your thing or if it matches your beliefs and how you live.
Remember, sustainability goes deeper than eco or environmental. Sustainability is environment, culture, economies, and people. Focus on local for all of these areas and bam, you have the understanding the sustainable.
Apps for your smart phone that focus on sustainability
1. Ecochallenge – this is fun and mixes a magazine, calculator and social game, with weekly changing topics all into one app. The developers were nominated for the 2011 tech award and you will find that it is a great way to look for solutions to how you live if you wish to be more sustainable or you can engage with other in their social game and test your knowledge.
2. Simply Green magazine – This is an Australian magazine that has some great information about sustainability. The app has a free edition of their magazine each month and if you want you can go to their website and see more information for free. We like the free mag and suggest that you download the app for your smartphone.
Here is a great video from the website that explains how to make your own non-toxic mosquito repellant.
3. Design Observer – This app is a blog and information resource and audio resource and more for up to date sustainability research, information and international projects. It is jammed packed with information and covers all corners of sustainability.Focus is design, but design is used in the broadest sense. Love this app and love the information that is shared.
4. Etiquette Manual to Sustainable practices – this is a great app for anyone hoping to test basic knowledge of sustainability or learn more about sustainable living practices. For kids ages 8 and up, this is fun app that you can use on the plane while traveling to increase awareness of sustainability or just have fun learning more! PRoduced by Planeta we like this simple but educational apps that shares lots of sustainable tips.
5. Eco innovators app – This app is a game, a resource and a way to assess your environmental impact on a daily basis. This can be used by the entire family and is fun, educational and easy to use. Eco innovators use the life cycle assessment to gauge and change environmental impact of daily living.
Love these? Have a favorite of your own. Share your favorite app on our Facebook page and let other know about useful apps that help to increase knowledge about sustainability.