We think that the ruins in Coba are some of the best ruins you can visit while in Tulum. This archeological site is very different from the Tulum Ruins and worth the 45 minute drive from Tulum. It is less traveled than ChichenIitza so less crowded and when you hear the history of this ruin, it seems as important if not more important than Chichen Itza. To top off this great trip, you will get to experience the Coba road, the highway that leads out of Tulum and takes you to the Coba Ruins. You will pass through small Mayan villages, see many artisan shops, drive by 9and stop) in the honey store, and see new eco-inspired communities along the way.
Video of the Coba Ruins
This video captures some unique spots in the Coba ruins that you can see before you plan your day or half day in Coba. You will see the view from the top of the Castillo, a breathtaking view of the jungle and surrounding villages. Also see the vast area that the Coba Ruins is located in.
Recommendations when going to the Coba Ruins
1. Take water and snacks with you in the car
2. Wear good walking shoes and a hat
3. Rent a bicycle at the entrance to get around this very large site. You will thank us later.
4. Wear bio-degradable sunscreen
5. Bring your smart phone for photos and video
6. Go early in the morning before it gets hot and tour buses arrive
Do you have other travelers tips for people visiting the Coba Ruins? Let us know what your thoughts are on the Coba Ruins, the trip to this archeological site and your stories of this perfect Tulum day.