Sustainable development is our responsibility at Casa de las Olas through our building practices, tour recommendations and daily decisions. Sustainable Tourism and eco-vacations is a partnership between us and our guests. We do our very best to make use of the resources we have on our property and encourage our guests to prepare in partnership with us, a sustainable vacation that protects the environment on our property, in the ocean and in the Riviera Maya.
Help us to continue our commitment to sustainable tourism
Before you arrive, think about bringing the following items with you so that you can help us maintain the paradise we live in. These items are not required, they are appreciated. When you go out to do your vacation shopping and prepare for your trip to Tulum and your stay at Casa de las Olas, think about these options that will decrease your carbon footprint and impact on the environment.
1. Eco Suntan lotion. This is not only good for the environment but better for your skin.
2. Eco Mosquito spray. Smells great, easy to find, and is a mixture of essential oils. Citronella is only one of the ingredients and most eco mosquito sprays smell better than any perfume you can find.
3. Eco laundry soap. Our suppliers use eco laundry soap, but if you like to wash out your bathing suit, or shirts while on vacation, bring a eco laundry soap with you. If you forget to bring it, Chedraui, our large grocery store has one eco laundry soap (but no guarantee it is in stock)
4. Bring only the essential electronic equipment. Imagine a vacation with a computer, smartphone or ipad…what a dream. Can you do it? Test yourself. We have solar electricity for all computers, smartphones and tablets but what if you did not bring one, or turned them all off when you arrived? Consider having an unplugged vacation….really.
5. Steel water container. When you are in the hot sun all day long, water is your best friend. Instead of buying a whole bunch of plastic bottles, consider buying a steel water container and just keep filling it up. we supply the water and encourage our guests to bring non plastic containers.
When you prepare in advance and source out these sustainable products in advance, your vacation seems to get a bit better, and know that you are in partnership with Casa de las Olas when living a life that understands and integrates sustainable living practices. None of us are perfect, but every little bit counts. This could be your little bit while you are on vacation.